Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Ready or Not...

Sa-wat-dee-ka! (Thai for "Hello") I'm counting down the hours before I leave home to begin my Peace Corps experience in Thailand. The time is quickly approaching, but I just wanted to take some time to start a blog. I won't be able to determine the best way to document my experience until I get settled in Thailand, but I want to get something started now.

I'll be leaving home the day after tomorrow (Thursday) to head to Washington DC where my cohort of Peace Corps Volunteers (referred to as Thai 126) will meet for our staging event (pre-departure briefing) that takes place on Friday. The group will be leaving Washington DC on Saturday morning and we will arrive in Bangkok on Sunday evening. The entire trip is over 20hrs long and considering that there is a time difference of twelve hours, we will be traveling for about two days. I have already prepared myself for the long journey with snacks, books, music, language materials, and most importantly, my blanket and pillow.

I'm in the process of packing everything else right now. I've never packed for a two year trip before, but I'm trying. It's a bit overwhelming honestly, so I decided to take a step back to exhale and express myself for a moment. I can't get over how quickly this is happening! Granted, I've been looking forward to this for quite some time now, but now it's happening, and I've been going through some emotions which I compare to what I imagine pre-wedding jitters must feel like. It's that feeling when you've been looking forward to and planning towards a great life experience, and then as the day gets closer, you start second-guessing, getting cold feet, and questioning if you're ready for such a grand commitment. On the other hand, you know that there are wonderful adventures and experiences to be had on the other end, and you pray that it will be worth the giant leap of faith.

This isn't a lifelong commitment, thankfully, but it's a big one. I'm committing to 27 months in a foreign country, worlds away from home and everything and everyone that I know and love, where my today will be their tomorrow, and there are moments when I ask myself the same questions that many others have been asking me: Are you sure you want to do this? Why? Why now?

It's all well and good to explain my love for service and my desire to experience a different way of life, but the conflict occurs when I think about my present way of life, how good it is right now, and the people that I can help in my own backyard. I also pause and hesitate when I consider the new language, the new culture, the time difference, and the foreignness of everything that awaits on the other side. But if not now, when? Right now, I'm young, I'm single, I have no real responsibilities, and I can't think of a better time.

Ready or not, it's happening. In just three days, I will begin this journey, and we shall see where it leads. I look forward to sharing stories of my service and my adventures, I also look forward to looking back on this entry and chuckling at my nervousness. In the meanwhile, I appreciate the continuous flow of love, support, and well wishes. Kop-kun-ka! (thank you!)

Until next time, Sa-wat-dee-ka! (also means goodbye!)

No comments:

Post a Comment