Monday, January 20, 2014

My Host Family

I've been at my host home for the past few days, and it has been quite an experience thus far. I will post additional details and pictures at a later time, but for now, here's a picture of my host parents with me on the day that we met. My host mom prefers that they be referred to as pii saou (big sister) and pii chaii (big brother), so I call her Pii Gop and her husband is Pii Pong. 


Just to answer the obvious questions, my living arrangements are very much as described in the previous post, except for meal time arrangements. I will go into more detail in another post. My internet access is very limited at this time, so my posts will be brief and less frequent. I am maintaining a personal journal and will share excerpts in future posts.

In other news, you may have heard of the recent bombings and other happenings that have been taking place in Bangkok. Please be assured that we are hours away from Bangkok and remain completely unaffected by those events at this time, but as a security measure, Peace Corps has placed us under "Stand Fast" status, which means that we are not allowed to leave our villages until further notice. We anticipate that the political climate will calm down after the elections in February. Either way, our training does not end until March, and we will be pretty stationary until then. 

I appreciate the expressions of concern and well wishes. Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers. Stay tuned for more updates soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle! It's great to hear that you are hours away from the chaos that is occurring in that region. I am really enjoying reading your posts and living vicariously through you in Thailand. lol :-) Sounds like you are settling in well with your new host family. Is Gop and Pong their names? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are their nicknames. A lot of people in Thailand have really long names, so friends and family refer to them by nicknames. I don't know their actual names. Thanks for reading!

      Delete