Sunday, January 12, 2014

We made it!

We have finally arrived. It has been an extremely long and exhausting journey, but we all made it safely and without incident. We traveled via Air Korea, and received such wonderful airline service, from the in-flight entertainment to the super friendly and efficient crew. We received a complimentary pouch which contained cloth slippers, toothbrush, toothpaste, and eyemask and we were fed every three hours, so that was nice. My only complaint is the insufficient legroom, but I guess the typical passenger is under 5'7'' so this is a personal complaint. Despite the discomfort which prevented me from getting any decent rest in 20+ hours of traveling, I had a good trip. Maybe some other time I'll try to snag me one of those "prestige class" seats that recline all the way back. That would be perfect. 

We had a such a beautiful welcome when we arrived in Bangkok. As we walked off the plane, the Peace Corps Thailand staff was there to greet us with leis and to walk us through our diplomatic entry, once we got out luggage together, we boarded a triple decker bus which brought us to our hotel which is two hours away from the city. Bangkok seems to be quite a bustling city, it reminded me of Miami with the skyscrapers, the high rise apartments, the busy freeway, and the metro/subway. There should be some political demonstrations taking place tomorrow and throughout the week, but we will be far away from that. As we drove out of the city, we saw more grasslands, and since it was night time, there was not much to observe. I tried to take it all in, but I found myself taking a nap.

I haven't been taking pictures as I should, many times, I just enjoy living in the moment so much that I forget or don't remember or bother to whip out the camera to capture these moments, but I'll make an effort to do better. The pictures below were taken when we arrived at the hotel. Enjoy!









Our first training session begins in a few hours, although we did not get settled until after midnight, breakfast will be served at 6:30 am and our first training session begins promptly at 8:00 am. I am feeling a bit restless, but I must be off to bed now. We are at this hotel for one week before we move in with our host families, so I will have internet access for the next few days and will try to check in again soon.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Michelle, super excited for you....ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, It's been great so far, I'm trying to enjoy every bit of it! Thanks for reading :-)

      Delete
  2. Michelle, you mom share your blog with me. I am so pleased you are able to get this opportunity to make a difference in someone's life, even if it is only one person. Make the best of it. Give the best you have to give to make it more rewarding for you and the persons with whom you will be working.

    Lastly, have a quality experience! May God continue to guide you in all you do. Continue to Shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, I am really grateful for this opportunity and intend to make the absolute best of it!

      Delete