Monday, January 27, 2014

Interested in Peace Corps? My application experience...

Many have asked along the way: How did you get involved with Peace Corps? What was the application process like? Am I too old? How do I qualify? Can you choose where you want to go?

In short, the process takes about a year on average from application submission to departure, but it varies. There is no age limit (my group includes several retirees) and, just an FYI, my group also includes two married couples. To qualify, one must be an American Citizen and must have some background or experience in any one of many areas, including (but not limited to) health, education, economics, agriculture, and youth/community development. Although there is a location preference form, placement is determined based on the need of a country for the skills reflected in the application.

I have a Master of Social Work degree and two years of experience working in inner city schools with City Year (an AmeriCorps Program). Two of my AmeriCorps supervisors were Returned Peace Corps Volunteers, they spoke fondly of their experiences and encouraged me to apply.  Given my educational background and experience working with youth, I was nominated for the Youth Development program, which is one of the recently added sectors in Peace Corps.

The application was completed online and required a resume, two essays, and three references. The application asked for general medical, educational, financial, and legal background information. The preference page included a disclaimer that stated that assignments are determined based on match of applicant skill and country need. My preference was to serve in Latin America since I have some knowledge of Spanish, or in the Caribbean. I also indicated preference for tropical climate due to Seasonal Affective Disorder (depression in gloomy climates).

Once all portions of the application are submitted, you will be scheduled with an interview with a recruiter who will ask general questions about your motivation and interests, and will provide a few scenarios and ask how you will deal with certain situations. The interview is followed by a nomination which would include a sector as well as a potential departure date and region.

This step must be followed by completion of a legal kit (finger prints and background check) and a medical kit. Completing the medical kit is the longest and most intensive part of the application. I actually had to go through the whole application process twice due to some issues with the medical clearance portion. I initially submitted my application in November 2011 and received a nomination with an anticipated departure date of January 2013, but due to circumstances out of my control (including an incomplete medical kit) that didn’t work out and my application was withdrawn.

The second time around, my timeline was a little different, due in part to Peace Corps systems conversions and process changes, and also due in part to the fact that my recruiter and medical officer agreed to work with some of the information that was already on file. I still had to complete all of the steps, but my interview was a bit less formal and I didn’t have to do five separate doctor visits just to verify my underweight condition.

February 2013, I resubmitted my application with updated resume, new references, and slightly modified essays.

March 2013, I completed my interview and received my nomination

April 2013,  I received, completed, and returned questionnaires and my legal kit (fingerprints and background check).

June 2013, I received my official invitation, pre-departure reading material, my medical kit, access to the online portal, and instructions to apply for a Peace Corps Passport and Thailand Visa.

July 2013, I completed my passport and visa applications and started my Medical Clearance Process.

August 2013, I completed all pre-departure courses and forms on the online database.

October 2013, I successfully completed my Medical Clearance process, which included several visits and follow-ups to the dentist, doctor, clinic, and laboratory. Submission of documentation and feedback were delayed by the Government Shutdown, but I still had all of my medical documents dated prior to deadline of 90-days pre-departure.

November 2013, I received and returned worksheets pertinent to my technical assignment and homestay.

December 2013, I received my travel itinerary, packing instructions, and staging information.

January 2014, I made it! The process is over and the experience has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment