Friday, April 18, 2014

Songkran 2557/2014

Cultural Note: Songkran Festival is the celebration of the Traditional Thai New Year. According to Thai tradition/Buddhist belief, the current year is 2557. The Western calendar system has been widely adapted, so most calendars show both the Western/Christian year and the Thai/Buddhist year beginning in January to minimize confusion.

Songkran Festival takes place over the course of three days (April 13 - 15).  During this time, people take time to honor their elders and family members, and participate in religious activities. The highlight of Songkran is water. Some events include the pouring of water on hands or over the heads of others, at home I helped my host mom to gather and wash all of her religious tokens, and most folks go out to the streets with hoses, buckets, barrels, water guns filled with water (ice cold water!) to douse all passers-by and bystanders. I've heard different theories about the heavy symbolism of water in this tradition, the three major themes are 1) Asking the spirits for relief from heat (basically ushering in the rainy season, it's summer time right now) 2) Extending blessings and well wishes unto others 3) Blessing others by relieving them from the heat.

This year, Songkran started on a Monday, which resulted in a five-day weekend and a two-day work week. Most of my holiday was spent at home with my host family. It was actually very good bonding time, I ate an average of four meals a day (even helped to prepare a couple), and I got to catch up on some much needed and appreciated relaxation. We did participate in two activities, one was a small community event for the elderly, and the other was "Party Foam" (yes, foam party). There were other activities planned that didn't work out for various reasons, nonetheless, I really and truly enjoyed the weekend. I'm already looking forward to being active in next year's events.

I got the job as P' Em's Registration Assistant. Minimal Language Requirements.
Dancing with the folks. If the spirits are happy, then we will be blessed with rain!
I guess they were very happy, this stuff really works!
(Shoes courtesy of my host mom since my only waterproof shoes are flip flops)
Here are a few clips from my outing:



Next on the my community's social calender is Bun Bang Fai (Rocket Festival) which will be taking place at the beginning of next month. Bun Bang Fai is an Isaan tradition and happens in my community once every other year, so I'm hoping to get the absolute most out of it. I've already been nominated to participate in the parade, but my host mother advised that if I participate in the parade, I will not get to see it, and I should see it. And I agree. I'm already looking forward to it.

Thai culture is so very rich. I'm looking forward to every cultural and traditional experience that I will immerse myself into during my time here, and I will be sure to share along the way, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! Thanks for the update. I read while eating a plate of Thai food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I can't wait to go to a Thai restaurant back home and order food in Thai! lol

      Delete